5 Dental Care Tips for Children
As a parent you want to do everything you can to keep your children safe and healthy. Ensuring proper oral health care is just one of the ways you can keep your children healthy for life. Try the following easy tips to prevent dental disease and promote good oral health care in your children.
1. Make sure your kids brush twice a day
- Make brushing as fun as you can for youth. Try buying fun and colorful dental care products with your child’s favorite cartoon characters. Also, replace the brushes once every 3 months to ensure your child is using the cleanest toothbrushes possible.
- Make flossing part of the brushing routine as well. Every time your child brushes, they should floss as well.
2. Limit the amount of sugars your children eat
- Start your children on a healthy diet from a young age.
- Cut fruits and vegetables into fun shapes to make eating healthy fun.
3. Take your child to the dentist as soon as they have all of their primary teeth
- Look for fun books or educational television shows about going to the dentist to show your child that going to the dentist isn’t anything to be afraid of.
- Supervise your young children as they brush their teeth. Too much fluoride can result in fluorosis which can cause staining and irregular tooth formation so make sure your children use only a “pea” size dab of fluoridated toothpaste.
- Protect your child’s mouth by investing in mouth guards to be worn during sports activities. Preventative measures are essential. It might seem excessive, but better safe than sorry.
GUM® creates dental hygiene products that are the ideal tools for maintaining dental health. A healthy smile is what we strive for. Visit GUM at www.gumbrand.com for oral care products to fit your individual needs to help achieve that smile.