4 Simple Tips to Keep Your Eyes Healthy Always
Eyes are our most important organ but ironically we don’t care much for them unless something serious happens to them. Why take a chance? Why not take care of them so that they can remain healthy forever? Here are some tips you should follow in order to keep your eyes in top shape always.
1. Pay Attention to Nutrition
Food is the best medicine – for cure as well as for prevention. When you eat right, you hardly need to take other medicines. In case of eyes too, you should pay attention to the nutrition they need and they will remain healthy. Make sure you include omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, vitamins C and E, and lutein in your diet. These will keep age-related vision issues like cataracts and macular degeneration away. These nutrients are found in:
- Green leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach and collards
- Oily fish like tuna, salmon and others
- Nuts, beans, eggs and other non-meat proteins
- Pork and oysters
- Oranges and other citrus fruits and/or their juices
A well-balanced diet helps you maintain a healthy weight too which in turn reduce your risk of obesity and related conditions like type 2 diabetes, which is a major cause of blindness. Discuss with an expert doctor like that at Eyeklinik about achieving optimum eye health.
2. Quit Smoking
Smoking increases your risk to get macular degeneration, cataracts and damage to optic nerve. If you have tried to quit to start it again, don’t be discouraged. The more you try, the more likely you are to succeed. Take your doctor’s help too.
3. Don’t Forget Sunglasses
Sun’s ultraviolet rays are a great hazard for eye health, as it is for skin. They increase the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts. Therefore you should not forget to wear sunglasses whenever you go out in the sun. Be sure that the pair you get blocks 99% to 100% of both UVA as well as UVB rays. Wraparound lenses are even better because they protect your eyes even from sides. You can also look for polarized lenses that reduce glare when you drive.
4. Take Care of Eyes while Working on Computers
Staring for too long at computer screens may cause:
- Blurry vision
- Dry eyes
- Problem in focusing at a distance
- Neck, shoulder and back pain
To prevent all these problems:
- Be sure your prescription of glasses or contacts is up-to-date and fine for looking at a computer screen
- Still if your eyes are strained, discuss with your doctor about computer glasses
- Move the screen in a position in which you can look slightly down at it
- Don’t forget to blink while staring continuously at the screen
- Avoid glare from lights and windows. If required, use an anti-glare screen
Take good care of your eyes with these tips, keep them away from strain and they will work for you efficiently for your life.