Diabetes Diet Tips
People with diabetes have to control their blood sugar level, to keep it within the target range. There are many products to measure your blood sugar level, known as glucose meters (visit source here) in order to help you manage your health condition. Have you ever wondered why does blood sugar level rise and fall? Food is one of the most important factors. So, it’s very important what a person eats. We will now share some diabetes diet tips: what to eat and what to avoid.
First of all, here is the positive list of foods:
- Carbohydrates, but healthy ones: vegetables, fruits, legumes, whole grains.
- Foods high in fiber: nuts, whole-wheat flour, wheat bran, legumes, fruits, vegetables.
- Healthy fats (foods with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids): nuts (almonds, walnuts), olives, avocados and also peanut oil and olive oil.
- Healthy Fish (twice a week minimum)- halibut, tuna and cod; salmon, bluefish, sardines, mackerel.
Negative list or what to avoid:
- Fish with high levels of Mercury (king mackerel, tilefish and swordfish) and any fried fish.
- Fats: trans, saturated and cholesterol: high-fat animal and diary products, beef, sausage, bacon, hot dog, baked goods, processed snacks, margarines, egg yolks, liver, shellfish etc.
- Don’t take more than 2,300 mg of Sodium on a daily level.