Excellent Tips to Make the Most of Your TENS Electronic Pulse Massager Unit
Are you in pain but haven’t yet used a TENS unit? Well, it’s not too late. If you are suffering from any pain like that from arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome, or shoulder pain, neck pain or back pain, you might take a painkiller that might relieve your pain temporarily. However, if you are desperately looking for a permanent relief with a convenience of carrying in your bag and using whenever required, you should use a TENS unit.
TENS unit is the short for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation unit. Transcutaneous refers to something passing across the depth of the skin. It creates a light electric current mimicking that of your nervous system and thus relieves the muscle pain.
How to Make the Most of Your TENS Unit?
- Before placing TENS electrode pads on your skin, make sure the skin is dry and clean and doesn’t have any lotion or oil on it.
- If your skin is excessively sensitive to or get breakouts from perfumes, detergents or lotions, try an electrode pad made with “skin-friendly blue gel”. If the spot of the skin you want to apply the pad on has a lot of hair, consider these patches with skin-friendly blue gel. They have a leggier, thicker gel that can make a better skin contact.
- Don’t clean your skin with alcohol because it will cause excessive dryness that could irritate or burn the skin due to electrode pads.
- You can extend the life of the TENS pads by storing them in a cool dry place and avoid excessive humidity and heat.
- Make sure you turn off knobs on your TENS unit when you finish the treatment and remove the battery if you are not going to use the unit for a month or more. Also, turn the unit off before you reposition the pads so as to avoid the “tweaking” sensation while detaching them from your skin.
- The flow of the electrical sensation can be changed if the direction of the electrode pads and/or distance between the pads is changed. You can place the pads in one of the three directions: 1. Horizontal 2. Vertical 3. Diagonal
- When you feel the comfort of the treatment from the unit, make a note of the settings you used and placement of the pads. Place the notes in the device’s user manual’s back or an electronic notepad like your phone or iPad.
- Always have an additional pack of TENS patches, batteries and lead wires at hand. Most pads have a shelf life of minimum one year if stored upopened and properly.
If you use your TENS Electronic Pulse Massager applying these tips, you can benefit from it and remain pain-free for much longer.